- The culture and the folklore of Rajasthan is one of the vibrant and colorful cultures in India
- Rajasthan, a barren desert land, becomes resplendent with the colors of joyous celebration of its fairs and festivals whether Teej, Gangaur, Sawan, Kite festival etc.
- The music and dances of Rajasthan are heady, exciting, hypnotic and compelling… in short, very much a part of the eternal appeal of this strange and wondrous land.
- The state of emperors, Rajasthan, boasts of a fine kitchen - both within the palaces and outside. Princely kitchens have produced many incomparable and exotic delicacies and given unique recipes to India.
Saturday, November 25, 2006
For the rest of the world Himalayas is a mountain range that encloses the Highest peaks of the world. For the thrill seekers, Himalayas is the ultimate adventure sports destination. And for the tourists they have the most exotic and picturesque holiday resorts found on earth. But for the pilgrims they are the most sacred and revered mountain ranges in the world.
Wednesday, November 22, 2006
Sunday, November 19, 2006
Saturday, November 18, 2006
1,065,070,607 (July 2004 est.)
Indo-Aryan 72%, Dravidian 25%, Mongoloid and other 3% (2000)
Hindu 81.3%, Muslim 12%, Christian 2.3%, Sikh 1.9%, other groups including Buddhist, Jain, Parses 2.5%
Hindi is the national language and primary tongue of 30% of the people.
English enjoys associate status for national, political, and commercial communication.
14 other official languages and over 1600 languages and dialects.
- Hoysala architectural style
- Chenna Kesava temple at Belur
- Indo-Islamic Architecture
- Taj Mahal
- Kutub Minar
- Buddhist Caves and Chaityas
- Sanchi, center of the Heavens
- Rock cut architecture at Karle
- Rajput Architecture
- Gwalior fort
India's Economy Encompasses:
Traditional village farming, modern agriculture, handicrafts, Wide range of modern industries, a multitude of support services.
Average growth rate: 6% since 1990
GDP Real Growth Rate: 8.3%
GDP - Composition by Sector:
- Agriculture: 23.6%
- Industry: 28.4%
- Services: 48%
- Rice, wheat, oilseed, cotton, jute, tea, sugarcane, potatoes; cattle, water buffalo, sheep, goats, poultry, fish
Textiles, chemicals, food processing, steel, transportation equipment, cement, mining, petroleum, machinery, software
Industrial Growth rate: 6.5%
Government Type: Federal Republic
Chief of State: President Abdul Kalam
Head of Government: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
Cabinet: Council of Ministers appointed by the president on the recommendation of the prime minister
- President elected by an electoral college - five-year term
- Vice president elected by both houses of Parliament for a five-year term
- Prime minister elected by parliamentary members of the majority party following legislative elections
- Supreme Court - judges are appointed by the president
Total area: 3,287,590 sq km (slightly more than 1/3rd the size of USA)
- Land: 2,973,190 sq km
- Water: 314,400 sq km
- Bangladesh, Bhutan, Burma, China, Nepal, Pakistan
- Varies from tropical monsoon in south to temperate in north
- Upland plain (Deccan Plateau) in south, flat to rolling plain along the Ganges, deserts in west, Himalayas in north
- Coal (fourth-largest reserves in the world), Iron ore, manganese, mica, bauxite, titanium ore, chromite, natural gas, diamonds, petroleum, limestone, arable land